Ha! You thought I would say the rest of the phrase didn’t you? Silly rabbits. You know what isn’t silly? Sloppy pullups. We went and practiced our kipping pullups today and gave them a whirl in the conditioning WOD.
Thoughts on the kipping pullups so that you can visualize them in your dreams tonight, tomorrow night, and every other night from now until you die.
1. Grab the bar (thumbs over or around is fine) and hang with active shoulders by pinching those shoulder blades together. Point the feet slightly in front of your center of gravity, bracing the midline.
2. Start the kip by thrusting the hips forward and backwards. (Think of your C’s and D’s). Ideally, when called to, you could stop your body from flailing around on a dime. If when you stop from your swing and your body continues to sway, you are a bad mouse and have not initiated the movement from your hips! Remember, it’s all in the hips…
3. With a good swing developed, try to work on pulling up towards the bar after three kip attempts. For example, count three swings…1…2…3 being explosive on three with the hips, driving them forward. Transform that forward motion back towards the “D” position and pullup on the bar. Ideally the swing back will have released energy which will translate not only back but up as well, helping you glide up over the bar.
4. Once your chin is over the bar, push back and away from the bar to setup for the next kipping attempt, repeating the aforementioned steps to reproduce another kipping pullup!
- Rome wasn’t built in a day…It could have been if only every Roman was a part of The Movement Program.
So easy, right?! Not quite. Get to work. Everyday before class starts, work on getting your double unders and now…your kipping pullups.
FYI, EPPO lost six pounds. That’s pretty baller. Brace yourselves, you won’t recognize him in three months at this rate. Knick continues to devour WODs! Wait until he gets his kipping pullups. Game over. Kruzer pushed hard through some pain, but still finished with the WOD with a smile. Paint Chips’ power cleans are slowly starting to clean up. Just need to work on that shoulder and elbow flexibility. Dora, great transitions and way to fix up the quality of those broad jump burpees!
I think today’s spirit award goes to Dragonball Z, however. Correct me if I am wrong, but he did every round of the WOD’s front squats unbroken, with really solid form.
Overall, I couldn’t be prouder of the heart and commitment of every single student-athlete who graces The Movement Program. Whether you believe it or not, you are an inspiration to your families and friends…you are all, however, still as ugly as sin. 🙂
15 minutes Kipping Pullup practice
7 Rounds for Time
7 Front Squats (95/75)
7 Broad Jump Burpees
7 Kipping Pullups